A resistant movement against the online classes
Balochistan is the most backward province in terms of education, health and other basic facilities. Balochistan owns very few universities which do not meet today’s standards. Most of the universities in Pakistan, keeping the poor educational ratio of Balochistan, have allocated seats for students. Currently, nearly ten thousand students are studying in different universities of Pakistan.
As pandemic disturbed the whole world,it caused closure of educational institutions worldwide. Higher education commission during the pandemic announced online classes without thinking for a while that different parts of the country such as Balochistan, Tribal areas of DG khan X Fata lack internet. Moreover , this decision of HEC created uneasiness among the students. And this compelled the baloch students body to form an alliance which should raise voice against this baised decision of higher education commission.
BSAC , Baloch Students Council Islamabad , Baloch Students Council Multan, Baloch Students Council Lahore Chapter, Baloch Educational council Bahawalpur, Baloch Educational Council Faisalabad, Baloch Students Council Layyariand Baloch Educational Council Karachi formed a coalition named Baloch Students Alliance.
Baloch Students Alliance held its press conference at Quetta press club demanding immediate stoppage of online classes. And staged a protest in front of Quetta press club on 1st june 2020.
After getting no response from higher authorities, alliance announced staging camps and protest accross the country.
Events which followed one after another
- 2 June Online campaign on Twitter
- 6 June Protest at DG khan
- 9, 10, 11 June hunger strike camp at Karachi press club where thousands of students and large num of students participated . They demanded HEC to reconsider its decision
- 11 June. A rally was organized from.arts council to Karachi press club
*12 June . A rally was organized at Turbat where large num of students participated
*13 June . Demonstration at Pasni press club
- 15 june. A rally was organized at Panjgur
- 15 June. A rally was organized at Surab
- 15 June to 17 June , a token hunger strike camp was staged in Khuzadar which finished with a rally at 17 june .
- 16 June. Rally was organized at Besima
- 17th to 19 June A hunger strike camp was set in in front of Higher education commission offices where protesting students forwarded their charter of demand
- University hostels should be opened for the students of Balochistan and other areas
where even the basic facilities are not available for attending the online classes.
- H.E.C should formulate other favorable policies for the students of Balochistan, Dera
Ghazi Khan and other tribal areas where internet is unavailable.. In this regard, Higher
Education Commission should negotiate with Baloch Students Alliance.
- The HEC should approach to the government for providing internet facilities to the tribal areas of Balochistan, Dera Ghazi Khan and other areas where the basic internet facilities are unavailable.
- Until a comprehensive and authentic policy is formulated by HEC; Higher Education Commission should partially suspend the classes and cancel the examinations.
- If the Higher Education Commission is unable to issue a consistent, comprehensive
and non-partisan policy for the continuation of academic activities, then the cancellation
of online classes should be announced completely.
- 18 to 19 June. A camp was set in Kalat .
- 19 June . Vice chairperson BSAC was interviewed regarding the online classes
- 22 June . A camp was set up at Quetta press club
- 23 June protest at national press club Islamabad
On the last day of the camp at Quetta press club , a rally was organized by Baloch students alliance. Peaceful rally was stopped near Balochistan high court by police. After tyrannizing the students, they were taken into custody. Students were dragged by hair and pulled. One could observe worst form of brutality by police. After a huge reaction from students , political parties and activists, police released the students at 11 o’clock at night . Students gathering in front of Balochistan assembly and raised slogan . Later Govt of Balochistan suspended the SHO who was involved in the violence and torturing of the students.
All students body of Balochistan, BSO , PYA, BSO pajjar, PSO , PSF , PSF azad and others showed solidarity with the protesting students. After meeting with representatives of Govt Zahoor Buledi, Asghar khan achakzai , Bushra Rind , students formed a committee who had negotiated with the Govt and ended the protest. Now a team of four students namely Dr Sabiha Baloch, Dr Mahrang Baloch Salman Baloch are
Leading the negotiations with Govt and have put forward The following demands.
- Immediate stoppage of online clasess
- No fees during pandemic
- Govt of Balochistan should compensate the students.
In order to pressurize higher authorities to consider our demands seriously we have resumed our phase of protests and organized protesting rally’s and token hunger strike camps at different cities.
*June 25, Protesting rally’s were held in Noshki, Karachi and Islamabad in soldiery with students of Quetta and against online classes.
*June 26, a rally against online classes and in soldiery with students of quetta was held at Dera Ghazi khan.
- June 27 protesting rally’s were held in Khuzdar and Turbat against victimization of students and online classes.
- A two-day token hunger strike camp was held by BSA at Barkhan on June 27 and June 28.
- June 28, a protesting rally was arranged in Panjgur in soldiery with Quetta students and against online classes.
- June 29, A protesting rally was arranged by BSA at Hub Chowki.
Our struggle against HEC’s policy of online classes has not ended yet. We shall continue our struggle till victory.